September 30, 2016
Provincial action letters
April 2016: A limited amount of genetically modified (GM) alfalfa seed has been sold in Canada, for the first time. The federal government is not listening to farmers and consumers, but your provincial government should!
Your provincial government can take action!
- In March 2016, the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties (AAMDC) passed a resolution to work with different levels of government and companies, “to prevent the introduction of genetically modified/engineered alfalfa to the province of Alberta until there is a marketplace and consumer acceptance in Alberta’s export markets including China, Japan, the European Union, and the Middle East.”
- The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario has encouraged the Ontario government "to play a more active role in regulating the sale and use of GE crops in the province, rather than simply following federal decisions that may not encompass provincial environmental goals and interests."
- The Union of BC Municipalities voted for BC to become a GE-free zone!
You can email your provincial Minister of Agriculture today, by clicking below.
Please only write to your own provincial Minister because this is the most effective strategic action. Please send us any responses that you receive. Thank you for your action!
- Letter to Ontario Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to Quebec Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to NB Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to NS of Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to PEI Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to NL Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to Manitoba - pending election results
- Letter to Saskatchewan - pending election results
- Letter to Alberta Premier and Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to BC Minister of Agriculture
- Letter to Yukon Premier