May 23, 2013
Call to Support GE Free Yukon
Dear supporters for a GE FREE zone in the Yukon,
Please find included on this document the information required to submit a personalized message in support of this initiative.
The petition for a 10 year moratorium on the planting of GE seeds in the Yukon has been submitted to the Yukon legislature and has been tabled. The petition contains over 1500 signatures.
They will confirm that the petition is of proper format and meets the technical requirements to be accepted as a legal document recognized by the Government of the Yukon. The Legislature now has 8 working days in which to respond to this petition.
During this 8 day time period, we wish to provide support to the Government of the Yukon for this petition. We ask that letters be submitted via e-mail or facsimile to any or all of the contact people named. Submissions can be in either English or French. We ask that letters be cc'd to email@example.com so that the organization GE Free Yukon can keep track of the support received.
Letters could comment on but are not limited to:
- Distinct economic advantages to being a GE Free zone;
- A strategic analysis of any benefits or negative aspects;
- Need for application of the precautionary principle;
- Consumer demand for non-GE food from the Yukon
- Consultation with First Nation (currently 25% of Yukon population, largest land owner);
- Consultation with public/consumers;
- Economic implications to the Yukon and to farmers;
- Environmental concerns to the land, water and air;
- Documented evidence of increased inputs;
- Effect on community as a social tool;
- Need for long term safety studies;
- Failed examples throughout the developing world;
- Lack of examination of side affects to young people, nursing mothers, elders, etc.;
- Yukon is the last recognized province/territory/state with currently no GM seeds being planted in an agricultural area within the Americas;
- Impacts for climate change and global warming;
- Climate change will open the north up to increased agriculture over areas currently wild.
In addition to these items we are looking for your support as may be documented by your area of expertise. It is one thing to tell a farmer he is doing a great job but the farmer will appreciate it much more if you roll up your sleeves and offer to help - so will our government. We not only need to comment on the issues, but find a way to offer support. The Government will feel good about being supported in doing a good thing.
Please refrain from any partisan comments as this is not being presented as a political issue.
Thank you in solidarity for your support and help to move this forward,
GE FREE Yukon organization, c/o Tom Rudge, Tory Russell, Debbie Trudeau
A draft letter is available at www.gefree.yukonfood.com for you to use if you wish.
The Petition as it is worded to the Legislature of the Yukon:
“To the Yukon Legislative Assembly:
This petition of the undersigned shows:
THAT WHEREAS the Yukon is now one of the only regions in North America that remains uncontaminated by Genetically Engineered (GE) crops; and
WHEREAS it is very likely that GE crops, once planted, would cause irreversible harm to our natural ecosystems and sustainable farms; and
WHEREAS there is currently no legislation preventing the planting of GE crops in the Yukon,
We the undersigned ask the Yukon Legislative Assembly to put in place a ten year moratorium on the planting of any GE seed in the Yukon.”
Contact information for your letters of support:
Hon. Dennis Fentie – Premier
MLA - Watson Lake Yukon Party
Minister responsible for Executive Council Office, including Devolution, Land Claims, and Youth Directorate, Minister of Finance, Minister of Environment
Phone: 867 393-7053 Fax: 867 393-6252
Hon. Archie Lang
MLA - Porter Creek Centre Yukon Party
Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources (including Agriculture portfolio), Minister of Highways and Public Works, Minister responsible for Yukon Development Corporation, Minister responsible for Yukon Energy Corporation
Phone: 867 667-8643 Fax: 867 393-6252
Hon. Brad Cathers
MLA - Lake Laberge Yukon Party (an avid supporter of the petition)
Minister of Health and Social Services, Minister responsible for Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
Phone: 867 667-5806 Fax: 867 393-6252
Steve Nordick - Deputy Speaker
MLA – Klondike Yukon Party (MLA tabling the petition)
Phone: 867 633-7947 Fax: 867 393-7400
Arthur Mitchell - Leader of the Official Opposition (an avid supporter of local agriculture)
MLA – Copperbelt Liberal Party
Phone: 867 667-8828 Fax: 867 393-7444
Todd Hardy - Leader to the Third Party
MLA - Whitehorse Centre New Democratic Party
Phone: 867 393-7050 Fax: 867 393-6499
Director Agriculture Branch
Phone: 867 667-5838 Fax: 867 393-6222
GE FREE Yukon