We outline basic facts as well as provide in-depth information about the use of genetic engineering (genetically modified organisms or GMOs) and the complex issues that they raise. We provide this information in many different formats, for consumers and farmers. We research many important questions raised by the use of this technology in food and farming, including the potential environmental, social and economic impacts.
Health Canada’s proposed new regulatory guidance on genetically engineered foods – March 26-May 24, 2021:
- Proposal #1: Allow some genetically engineered foods onto the market without government safety assessments, April 8, 2021
- Proposal #2: Allow unregulated GMOs to go unreported to the government (the “Voluntary Transparency Initiative”), April 8, 2021
- Guide to Commenting on Health Canada’s Proposals: New regulatory guidance on genetically engineered foods, April 8, 2021
Genetically Modified Crops and Herbicides. December 2020
Market Status Update: GM Foods in Canada – For retailers (Eng/Fr), July 2020
Genetically Modified Salmon. February 2020
“Golden Rice” Vitamin-A Rice. November 2019
GM Contamination in Canada. Report Summary, March 2019
Stop GM Contamination in Canada – Farmer Brief. November 2018
Identifying and Avoiding GM Sweet Corn Seed in Canada: Grower Guide. Updated October 2018
How to Avoid Eating GM Salmon: Consumer Guide. Updated September 2018
GMOs in Canada: At a Glance. May 2017
Will PEI be the site of the world’s first GM fish factory? April 25, 2017
GM Crop Data Clarified: Interpreting the ISAAA report, February 2013
Genetically Modified Cotton: February 2013
The Genetically Modified “Non-Browning” Apple. November 2012
No GM Fish. February 2020
Intro to Gene Editing. January 2019
GM Alfalfa Update and Action Handouts:
GMO Inquiry Report Summary Pamphlets:
- Where in the World are GM Crops and Foods?
- Are GM Crops Better for the Environment?
- Are GM Foods Better for Consumers?
- Are GM Crops Better for Farmers?
- Are GM Crops and Foods Well Regulated?
- Do We Need GM Crops and Foods to Feed the World?
Articles & Editorials